Tuesday, December 01, 2009

The Sigh of Relief Heard Round the World

True Story:

Riding the elevator down from the west upper deck after the game, feeling pretty chippy, I joking said loud enough for everyone to hear, “Les Miles for Coach of the Year.” The people on the elevator looked at me like I just called their mothers whores that are banging the entire football team.

We just won a great football game folks. Get over yourselves! Be joyous. I’m sorry your life is so empty and unfulfilling that you have to live through LSU football. Do you realize that we WON THE GAME? Isn’t that the goal of football? This is just another reason I have gradually grown to resent so much of the LSU fan base, ignorance, hypocrisy and narrow-mindedness.

I have a confession to make. For the first time since the death throws of the Gerry DiNardo era, I gave up on the Tigers during a game. It happened when Jefferson threw that pick to open the second half and the Hogs quickly converted. I could see LSU giving away another half time lead and going into the toilet. LSU led Alabama and Ole Miss at the half and let those games slip away. Maybe the entire season had worn me down maybe my lack of faith in Gary Crowton got the best of me.

But just when you think it’s over, the Tigers claw back. Jefferson led LSU on a 67 yard drive which culminated in a 19 yard TD pass to Deangelo Peterson. On the drive, Jefferson was 4 of 5 for 41 yards and also rushed for 11 yards. The Tigers again went down with 1:12 left in the game but put together a CLUTCH drive which resulted in a 41 yard FG with 9 seconds remaining.

This game was a microcosm of LSU’s season. Offensively, at times the Tigers floundered and looked inept. They routinely seemed to make things more difficult for themselves. But at other times they looked crisp and very sharp. But they never had that killer instinct, in SEC games, LSU, outside of the Auburn game, never really put any of their opponents away when given the chance.

The defense gave up plays between the 20’s but then seemed to solidify in the red zone. I think everyone would agree that the defense is much better than last year. LSU finished 12th in the country in scoring defense at 16 points a game.

At times the coaching was hit and miss, but the bottom line is winning. LSU went 9-3 this year and without the gaff at Ole Miss, LSU would be 10-2 with losses to UF and Bama. The players never quit and always played hard (minus maybe the Louisiana Tech game which in my mind was understandable).

To quote Al Davis…just win baby.

My next post will review the season in more depth and address what I think LSU needs to do in the future.

No comments: