Monday, September 29, 2014

A Star is Born?

Now that is a Heisman pose!
“Brutal” is about the only thing I can say about Anthony Jennings’ performance against New Mexico State.  The few folks that showed up saw LSU’s starting quarterback implode before their eyes.  Jennings finished with a -21.52 passer rating.  I didn’t know you could have a negative passer rating.  This wasn’t against the Steel Curtain, Alabama’s 2011 defense or the Monsters of the Midway.  This was against the Aggies of New Mexico State.  After turning the ball over three times, Miles mercifully pulled Jennings and inserted Harris who proceeded to lead LSU on 7 straight TD drives.

I didn’t like the fans booing Jennings.  He played poorly, but from everything that I have seen, he’s a team player and has done nothing wrong off the field.  I understood fan’s frustrations, but booing Jennings as he left the field was uncalled for.  But hey, you pay your money, it’s a free country, you can “boo” all you want.   (*As a side note, I loudly booed Jordan Jefferson and Les Miles as Jefferson entered the 2011 UK game.  Call me a hypocrite, but I felt the situations were very different.)

Given the competition, I’m not ready to say Harris is going to be a great player; but I’m confident in saying Jennings will not.  Thus far this season, Harris is 22 of 30 for 394 yards and 6 TD’s/1 INT.  His QB rating is absurd. 

But how will he perform in one of the toughest venues in the country at Jordan-Hare Stadium?  Auburn is just as difficult a place to play as LSU.  The biggest challenge Harris will face will be controlling his emotions.  He will have to play very well for LSU to win as I expect Auburn to score…a lot. 

 LSU has been soft up the middle and unless the DT’s can slow down the running game, it will be a long night for the Bengal Tigers.  In the two games versus Arkansas and K-State, Auburn averaged 215 yards on the ground gaining 4.62 yards per carry. Marshall is probably an even better runner than MSU’s Prescott who torched LSU for 105 yards on the ground.

Three Things to Look For:

  1. Can LSU stop the inside run game of Auburn?
  2. Can LSU play mistake free football? (No turnovers, minimal penalties, no mental mistakes)
  3. How does Harris handle the pressure?
I think LSU will play well Saturday but it won’t be enough.  The Bengal Tigers will be in the game throughout, but Auburn’s running game will take over late as LSU and Harris wilt under the pressure.

Auburn 35- LSU 21  

 

Final Four: Week 4

Each week I will be posting my Final Four based a combination of games played thus far and predictions about the eventual participants.  My four is a combination of what has actually happened on the field and my evaluations projecting out to the end of the season.

Semi-Finals
(1)   Oklahoma v. (4) FSU
(2)
   Oregon v. (3) Alabama

National Championship

Oklahoma v. Alabama

No comments: