Wednesday, July 06, 2005

SEC East Preview

The days of beating up on the Mighty Gators are over. If you haven’t gotten your licks in yet (this means you UGA), then don’t expect to get them in now. Urban Meyer will return Florida to the lofty perch it assumed under Steve Spurrier. The Gators are loaded on both sides of the ball and anything less than a BCS birth (at least in my mind) would be a disappointment. Everyone is picking Tennessee but I am not sold. Rocky Top plays at Florida and then the next week at LSU in a brutal early road trip. The Vols then play at Alabama and have to sandwich in a game at Notre Dame late in the season. The bottom line with Georgia is I do not believe in senior QB D.J. Shockley. Do you think the Dawgs are better than last year after losing David Greene, Reggie Brown and Fred Gibson, Thomas Davis, Odell Thurman, and David Pollack? Yeah, me either.


I admit it, I love Spurrier. He brings flair and panache to the game. He runs smack and throws the ball deep up by four TD’s late in the game. Alas, he doesn’t have the players this year and may never get them. The Gamecocks will run up some mean scores the next few years, just not this season. Vandy is….well….Vandy. Don’t even get me started on UK. Hiring Rich Brooks was just plain stupid and the AD should get fired for it.

No comments: